November 24, 2014 Portugal
From Elder Cory Zwahlen:
Well, one more week down. The time here is passing pretty fast.
So, today, we went to the local castle with a really cool member and it was awesome! I’ve never been to a real castle before, only in Disneyland, and that really doesn’t count…..
A funny experience that happened yesterday was that we were knocking doors with little success and then this one guy promptly came out, told us he was a Seventh Day Adventist and started talking to us. He said he would be very happy to talk to us and so we started talking–and by talking, I mean we listened as he pretty much explained the entire New Testament to us as we just nodded and agreed, waiting for him to stop. Well, after an hour and a half of standing in the doorway listening to this man go on about how we have to be careful that we don’t teach the words of Satan, we got a chance to talk. That lasted about 10 seconds and he cut us off and told us we were wrong. This happened a few more times, but I felt I couldn’t leave until I bore my testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel. So I did. He tried to cut me off like normal, but I just put up my finger and said uh, uh, and he didn’t say another word until I was finished bearing my witness of the restoration. And after that he just said that it was my opinion and I can believe what I want. I felt kind of like 3rd Nephi who testified with such power that the people could not disbelieve his words. It was pretty cool.
He also would not let us talk about the Book of Mormon because of a scripture in the last Chapter of Revelations that he showed us that says that no one can add words to this book. We told him that the Book of Mormon was written before the New Testament and that we didn’t add words to the Bible. It’s ANOTHER Testament of Jesus Christ. But he really didn’t give us any heed. When we went home we opened the Book of Mormon to 2 Nephi 29 starting in verse three that talks about people who will say A Bible, a Bible, we have got a Bible and we need no more Bible. READ this chapter because it bears a powerful testimony of the validity of The Book of Mormon.
Questions and Answers:
1. What do you like about your new location?
It has a cool castle and some reeeeeally cool members.
2. Do the people seem about the same as in your previous area, or quite a bit different? Do they speak with a local accent?
They say something different for thank you here. They say bem aja instead of obrigado, and apparently it’s only this área and a couple others. But actually, the accent is much easier to understand than where I was before.
3. Is the weather still always rainy and cold?
Yep, apparently this place actually gets snow sometimes! I’ll be right at home!
4. Has your companion been there for a while?
One transfer before me.
5. What is your companion like?
He’s from Cape Verde and is pretty chill.
6. What does he like to eat?
Rice and Beans.
7. Does he skip lunches, like your previous companions?
No, normally we eat all three meals.
8. Is his Portuguese better than yours? How long has he been out?
He’s from Cape Verde. They speak fluent Portuguese that they learned in the school. But it’s crazy, he can’t email or write to his mom or dad because they don’t know how to read or write….. 😦
9. What street do you live on?
Rua Friere Rogue do Espírito Santo
10. It looks like the train trip there was pretty long. Who went with you?
11. What is the Branch like there? Where do they meet (what kind of building?)
It’s just the bottom floor of an apartment building. Small Branch of about 30-35
12. How’s the apartment?
It’s pretty good although the shower is not very hot 😦
13. Are you two the only missionaries in the city? How big is your area?
Just us. The next closest missionaries is in Cavalhã
14. Do you know where you will eat Thanksgiving (Or do they even celebrate it there)?
15. Dad wants to know how you ended up with your hair so short on top!?
Don’t let your companion cut your hair. Bad idea.